“Da Nang” in O Chau near the continent is not an administrative name but just a name of a seaport.
Da Nang is a translation in a phonetic and / or translating style, if the Sino-Vietnamese version is read in Da Nhuong, the place to translate has been translated in Chinese with a sound reading (Sino-Vietnamese pronunciation), meaning The meaning of the kanji used to translate is related to the meaning of the translated name. Most of the opinions are that the name of Danang comes from the position at the mouth of the Han River of the city. It is a deformation of the ancient Cham word “Da nak”, translated as “great estuary”.  
However, some Cham researchers, Inrasara and Sakaya, have made other suggestions. Inrasara (ie Phu Tram, poet and Cham culture researcher) thinks that “Da Nang” is a deformity of Daknan Ancient Ancient. Dak means water, nan or water, which means Ianhe means wide. The Daknan site implies the vast water area at the mouth of the Han River. And researcher Sakaya (aka Truong Van Mon) said that “Da Nang” may come from the Mon-Khmer, Dakduong – Da Lat language groups, which means the river. Danang is in Cham and ancient Raglai languages, the same language of Malayo-Polynesia, meaning “source”. “Da Nang” is “source river”.  But if we consider the modern Cham language, in the language of Ede, Gia Rai of the Chamic group still retains a call from ancient times such as Krong Nang or Ro Nang or Da Nang. Currently, even a large Cham province in Cambodia maintains a way to call a Cham river wharf “Kam pong Ch’Nang” and becomes a Cambodian province named Kampong Chhnang with a large number of Cham people behind Kampong Cham province. All variants of the Cham Pa language from “Da Nang” into Enang, Ch’nang, R’nang in Cham, Gia Rai, Ede and Raglai languages today mean peace and tranquility. Kampong Danang means Ben Thanh Binh river. Da Nang is in the language of refuge, “because Mr. Sakaya and Inrasara are Cham people in Panduranga, it is unclear from Danang in the standard Cham language, because Cham Panduranga calls Danang to Dan”.
Annam map is drawn by the “Crab” Alexandre de Rhodes.
The Chinese call Da Nang Hien Port, which is written in Chinese characters 蜆 港, later changed to 峴 港. In the past, Chinese boats went to Danang to take Son Cha island as a milestone for direction. Hon Son Cha is shaped like a mussel so Chinese people call this place “Show Harbor” (蜆 港), meaning “Ben Hen”. Later some people did not understand the origin of this name, seeing that there were many mountains surrounding Da Nang, replacing the word “present” 蜆 means “mussel” with the word “present” hiện is used only small mountains but high.
Another name given to Da Nang is Cua Han (meaning “door of the Han River”). According to the author Vo Van Dat, the Korean word has been Vietnameseized from the Hainanese reading of the place “The Port” 蜆 港 is “The Cram” or “Han The”. 
Rabbi Buzomi – coming to Da Nang in 1615 – called this place Porte de Kéan. The Asian map drawn by Sanson d’Abbeville in 1652 records Danang as Turaon. Cleric Christoforo Borri – came to Da Nang in 1618 – when he wrote a memoir about Dang Trong of Lord Nguyen, he called Da Nang Touron. Alexandre de Rhodes, a priest, used to go to Danang many times and called this place Turon; in his map are “Kean” (“Korean”, who is in “marketer”). 
Until the middle of the nineteenth century, the “Da Nang” place was still the name of a territory associated with a seaport, a deep puddle, a “gate” or a “ton of office.” The kings of the Nguyen dynasty from Gia Long to Tu Duc were more inclined to defend this place than to develop Da Nang into a bustling city.  Therefore, in this period, Da Nang was called a “ton”, which is a key defensive position.  Until France opened fire, Danang was still a position, a strategic military location and never a place of administrative units. 
Map of Tourane (Da Nang) during the French colonial period.
From 1888 until the end of the French colonial period, Tourane was the official name of Da Nang.  There are many different explanations of the origin of Tourane. Firstly, it is the way of saying the camp from Chau Ranh (only Vietnam-Chiem Thanh boundary). The second opinion is that it originates from a village called Thac Gian that was mistakenly referred to as Tu Gian. The third comment explains that Tourane refers to the place of a place that has a tower on the Korean door. 
In folklore, Vung Thung is another colloquial name to refer to Da Nang (currently Vung Thung is the name of a small ocean in the northeast of Nai Hien Dong ward, Son Tra district used to anchor ships. boat of fishermen).  The Confucianists are called Tra U, Tra A, Tra Son or Dong Long Loan. 
After the August Revolution in 1945, Tourane changed its name to Thai Phien – the famous patriot of Quang Nam led the Duy Tan uprising in 1916. However, on October 9, 1945, the Government Council came out. decide to keep the former names of administrative units from the period, city, province and district in the whole country to facilitate communication and communication.
The name Danang, comes from the Champa language, and means “big river” or “main estuary”. Located next to an important seaport on the west bank of the Han River, Danang has been on maps since the 16th century.
Cua Han, another name of the land, was popular with the public and Europeans at that time. This name is close in meaning to the Han River and was seen on 17th century maps. Father Buzomi, a European missionary coming to the Inner Area (Dang Trong) in 1615, founded a church in Kean, the land situated on the foot of the Hai Van Pass. The name Kean was also used on a famous map made by Father Alexandre de Rhodes in1666. Kean is “Ke Han”, stemming from the term “Ke”, a quite popular name at that time denoting crowded places such as markets and streets.
In the years of French colonialism, Danang was called Tourane. It was an official administrative name at that time and has been used by many Europeans until now. European maps, books and notes in the 16th, 17th, 18th centuries mentioned such place names as Turon, Toron, Taraon, Touan, Touane, Touron and Tourane.
The Chinese used to call the land “Hien Cang”. “Hien” in two ways of Han script writing means “a port having lots of mussels” or “a seaport with small but dangerous mountains”. The second meaning springs from the shape of Mount Son Tra when we look at it from the sea.
Danang Bay was called “Vung Thung” by the local people, as in the following folk verses: “Hearing the sudden gunfire, we know that the Western ships anchored at Vung Thung yesterday” (“Tai nghe súng nổ cái đùng, Tàu Tây đã lại Vũng Thùng hôm qua”). Confucian scholars used to call Danang by the literary names of Tra Uc, Tra Ao, Tra Son or Dong Long Loan.
After the August 1945 Revolution, Tourane was named after Thai Phien, a well-known patriot of Quang Nam Province who led the Duy Tan (Renovation) Resistance in 1916.
Two years later, Thai Phien was renamed Danang. This name has remained with the city.(03/01/2004)